Sliver Spoon: Week 14

Hiromu Arakawa has been one of my favorite manga artists since I watched Fullmetal Alchemist. Her storytelling and character designs are amazing. However, what makes her manga more special is the message she wants to give to the audience and how she deals with it.

Silver spoon is basically a story of a high school boy who has no dream but came to an agricultural school just because he needs somewhere else to live. I only read the first chapter so that I cannot cover the whole thing. However, I can see she wants to say something with a story where a boy grows up not only physically. Already in the first chapter, I can see the change of emotion and think of the character and we could think about how the story will go.
He came to school without no dream related to agricultural stuff. He entered the school with the best grade and after seeing some classmate, he thought they are not that smart and kind of look down on them. However, the classmates start the conversation about agriculture, he gets shocked.
I was like that too. In middle school years, I thought "cool" job is something that people look up, make lots of money and can be done with a good grade with a famous school. The story absolutely twist our though. This was a time I could look back myself. I can tell I have a dream but in some perspective, I am just like Hachiken. Everyone has their strongest point, their own acknowledge and each special interest.
I know the feeling that everyone has their own dream and there is me right next to them without any dream. That part, the feeling that I need to have "dream". I think everyone has a dream and having their aim is a good thing and needed. I know I have to, but the inferiority feeling that drives me down. I know he will have his own dream with his experience. What Hachiken feels about the circumstance he makes me relate to this story. I think everyone has at least experienced the complicated feeling about the dream and their circumstance.

This is a manga which is Japanese comic consisted of drawings and dialogues. Since the manga is a work associated with visual images, I would think that what if the story comes out with a book which is only consisted of text.
A book does not have any visual image, so to send the visual images or the look characters have should be described more detailed. Also, every act and thinking Hicken does will be described in the text, not in a visual image. Those changes make the details and it makes us focus on the characters' feelings which would be written relatively directly. There will be less or no visual gags. Also reading on the text could make us make up the world we imagine.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Questions

Week 4: Alternative Manga and "I saw it!"