Week 7: The Garden of Words with Dr. Shige Suzuki

This week, we got a chance to watch feature Japanese animation film named The garden of words and talk with Dr. Shige Suzuki. The movie is directed by Makoto Shinkai who also directed the movie "Your name".

I thought that Makoto Shinkai has different taste from me since "Your name" was not that impressive to me. However, the garden of words came to me in a different way. Every background drawing was stunning like any other movie directed by him. The whole drawing style and color were amazing. Gihlbli has more desaturated color compared to Makoto's work. He has a talent for mixing color with saturated and natural colors.
This film has a "boy meets girl" story but the story does not unfold in a cliche way. I think he tried to show the subtle change of emotion of the relationship of two different people and how they affect each other. This is pretty similar to his latest movie "your name", but this film has a slower tempo and it is more aimed at the older audiences. The main boy character likes the girl and he tries to open her mind, but the great thing about this film is that no one is just one-sided character and the girl who was defensive and passive gets a chance to tell her real mind in the ending. It is a short film which is only 46 minutes long and that is why I feel the ending is not satisfying. I like the ending and showing their change gives a good message to the audience but still, I want a different ending which makes the concept statement stronger.

We got a chance to have a talk with Dr. Shige Suzuki. He talked about the basic background of Makoto Shinkai and his background. It was interesting to know that he is not actually from the animation field but the game design. I think those who had a different background is good to show different perspective and subject. Also, he talks about Japanese anime culture which has an enormous market. The comic convention, do Shinji and fanwork things were all that I had heard about but it was refreshing to know the evolution of that market and the size, the artist who started to make manga from a convention like Yoshihiro Togashi.

It is a chance to remind that it is always nice to learn more about the things I heard and learn new and different topics.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Questions

Week 4: Alternative Manga and "I saw it!"

Sliver Spoon: Week 14