Week 9: Shojo and Josel: Banafish

Image result for banana fish

Akimi Yoshida is known for her working and expanding the border of romance manga. Her work Bananafish is considered one of the best manga in 20th century Japan. The first impression I read this manga is that her drawing style is really influenced by Katsumi Otomo, the original artist of AKIRA. Shojo manga is one of the famous manga genres in Korea where I lived and I love shojo manga so Bananafish was easy to start reading.

Ash is perfect when we just see him. He is smart, handsome and he got hard training from Mafia so that he is able to shoot a gun, even perfectly. Such an ideal boy. However, actually, his mother left him alone and the mafia boss with a sexual obsession with young boys abused him.
I think he symbolizes people who do not know love or how to love. He is grown up in bad circumstance and cannot feel normal emotions. He should have hidden his emotions and feelings to live in the world. However, he met a boy named Eiji. He is the first and only person who comes to Ash and sees him as a "person".

Personally, I think the details of Eiji's emotion and thinkings need to be described more because I think he is shown pretty much the same as the one-sided character.
However, the letter Eiji wrote, the context there shows what kind of person Eiji is. Ash looks stronger, he is a mafia. But the real strong person was Eiji I think. He is a savior of Ash and he knows the real love and Ash finally learns Eiji's, true love.

I am not sure it is categorized as BL (boy's love), but I think the relationship between two isn't just a "love". Sure there is love, but the communication and connection they share include that belief, hope, reject. Just all the emotions people can feel to another who the one strongly depends on mentally.
Bananafish is a drug which controls a human's emotion. But a character said to Ash not to control the emotions but you will be a devil. I think this is the main theme of the work. Be true to your emotion and feelings and that is the key for connection and love.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Questions

Week 4: Alternative Manga and "I saw it!"

Sliver Spoon: Week 14