Week 8: Diversity of gender and sexuality in Manga and Anime

Gender and sex are the main controversial subject these days. Especially in a conservative country like Japan, I had never thought Japanese manga was open to LGBT subject so the class this week was very refreshing and great.

The manga "My lesbian experience of loneliness" was impressive. It was not just about sexuality, it was more about finding myself and emotional progress of a person. She, the creator has depression and how her lesbian experience and circumstance around her makes her change was relatable and touching. I was afraid to be a "grown-up" "woman" when I was puberty, the image "woman" should have like the depiction of sexuality and make-up looked weird to younger me. Now I know that was because of wrong imagery of media and "female" just man biological sex, and I do have to do those things to be a woman but still what she felt was pretty similar to younger me. That helps me emphasize to her.
Ran-Ma and "My brother's husband" are both pretty famous back in my country, too. I think Ran-Ma deals the sexuality and story brightly so that gives an easier approach to people who never had experience with reading these kinds of manga. Also, "My brother's husband" was very meaningful since it is created by a bisexual man who knows exactly what gay people feels. I know anyone can make characters different from themselves but still, a work about themselves has more meaning and powerful message associated with their experience.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Questions

Week 4: Alternative Manga and "I saw it!"

Sliver Spoon: Week 14